Here’s what to expect if you hire a kid’s party Singapore magician:
Things To Tie Down Before The Actual Day
Arrange For An Appropriate Timing:
- If you planned for your party to start from 11am to 2pm, you ought to arrange for your kid’s entertainment to come 30 mins or 1 hour later.
- As you are probably familiar, there are always latecomers for any occasions due to the numerous reasons or emergencies that can arise.
- Ideally, fringe activities such as balloon sculpting, air-brush tattoo, story-telling, candy floss and popcorn can begin first, followed by the magician entertainment.
- The cake cutting ceremony can be the finale.
- With this event flow, the latecomers will still be able to catch the programme highlights such as the magic performance and the cake cutting ceremony.
- After all, guests that are streaming in during the performance can be both distracting and disruptive for everyone.
- Kids tend to run to the entrance whenever someone arrives. This is especially so for the birthday kid, since he receives the most attention from the adults showering him with presents.
Plan For Wet Weather:
- Inform the magician in advance if you will be hosting the party at outdoors. Also, prepare a contingency wet weather plan. You wouldn’t want the whole event to be ruined due to a bad weather.
Confirm The Availabilities Of The Deco Designs:
- If you have requested balloon decorations for your party apart from engaging a kid’s party magician, do check with the event planner on balloon designs, shapes, colours and wordings. Due to the availabilities of the stocks, the actual designs of the balloons are subjected to change and may vary wildly from those shown on the website.
- This can be important to you – especially when you have a colour or cartoon-themed birthday party. Same goes for the party hats, snacks, desserts, goodies or presents for the little ones. Most event planners will warn you in advance, but it is prudent for you to do a confirmation. Note: you could also ask about the magician costume.
Do The Performers Require Peripherals:
- Some magicians might need tables or a sound system and they will usually bring along if they require. In that case, do allocate sufficient space for them to setup and ensure other decorations or catered food do not infringe the dedicated area.
Check If The Magician Bring Along His Staff:
- Also check with the magician to know if he is bringing along an assistant. You wouldn’t want to have to question anyone if he/she is invited to the party.
What To Expect On The Actual Day
Arrival Of The Magician:
- Most magicians will arrive around 15 minutes to “feel the ground” and setup his props. However, there are also some who will choose to wait till the last minute before they appear at the party, so as to minimize interaction with the kids and maintain the suspense prior to the show.
Go Easy On The Magician:
- For a kid’s entertainment party magician to perform magic tricks for the little ones is no easy feat and demands great efforts and a high level of patience.
- To start with, your magician often have to fend for himself from the minute he reaches the party, only to be half-greeted by frantic parents tied-up with entertaining other guests. As the magician tries to set his props up, an excited crowd begin to form around him, bombarding him with numerous, almost nonsensical questions.
- When it comes to seeing a magic show, kids definitely do not know how to “give face” to the magician. They love to challenge their magician or to look out for any loop holes in the magic tricks. If they seem to find any, they will not hesitate to exclaim it out. The next thing you know, they scatter away to spar balloon swords with their friends.
- Throughout the show, the magician needs to play the multiple hats of an entertainer and an attendant to free up the parents focus their attention for other tasks. So do understand the difficulties of your magician and try to be forgiving on him/her.
Conduct Of The Cake Cutting Ceremony:
- If your package comes with hosting of the cake cutting ceremony, the magician or the staff will usually gather along the kids to sing the birthday song for the birthday kid. Some magician will play the birthday song from the sound system or lead everyone to sing. Using a pre-loaded soundtrack might cause the birthday song to be played over and over again, leading to confusion and not providing the cue to stop. So do ask your magician for his/her opinion.
- Some parents might want to have cake cutting first so as the mark the start of the event. Do discuss with the magician beforehand to minimize disruptions to the event.
- If your kid’s party magician uses a beautiful backdrop for his performances, do take the opportunity to request for photo-taking. They should be more than happy to oblige! You can also ask beforehand if you get to choose the backdrop.
- Go on and take some awesome and memorable photographs!
- Do note that most magicians or staff will not be responsible for any decorations or cleaning up of the mess left behind by the party guests.
For pricing guide, do read our Ultimate Pricing Guide to Book a Magician for Your Kid’s Big Day
If you like reading this on hiring a party magician,